How About Them Knobs?

Door knobs people, door knobs! Back in the fall we updated a Goodwill headboard (you can read more about that here) and while we were in spray painting mode we decided to update some hardware in our bedroom as well. I don’t know how months and months have gone by and I haven’t shared this with you all. The good news is I can tell you that the hardware is holding up really well.

Here is shot of the closet door knob before.

Yikes! Yeah, apparently at some point we got paint on our closet door handle. This truly was the sad state of things until we blasted the knob with some Rust-oleum Carbon Mist.

The set up looked something like this. We primed, then painted them. Obviously make sure your hardware is clean. Some people might do a light sanding to rough it up, we didn’t.

Door knobs and light switch covers oh my! Excuse the crummy pictures. The befores were on the old camera and then nows were in the dark. What can I tell ya? I just don’t have my act together.

I am kind of obsessed with this stuff now. I love what it has done to update the hardware and for so cheap! Anyone else super excited for the return of spray paint season! WooHoo!

Please don’t forget to stop by and share your tips for balancing home.

CLICK HERE TO SEE WHERE I PARTY AT!

Comments

1. Shannon Fox says:

Hey, knobs are spendy… and a whole house? That adds up. Great job getting thrifty =) They look great!

2. Angela Hunt says:

Thanks for sharing this!!! I have this on the way bottom of my to-do list!!! So I am glad to hear it works!!!! :)

• We have so many more knobs to update too! I know how it goes. Lots of projects on the to-do list. I still have pictures facing the wrong way on my gallery wall, because I haven’t replaced them. LOL!

3. I love this stuff. I sprayed all the hv/ac vent/grills. They came out wonderful! Thanks for sharing :)

4. Bridget Slaasted says:

I’m so glad to hear that they have held up well. I have been wanted to do this on all of our knobs. We got some paint on ours too :)

5. Rust-Oleum Scott says:

Megan, your new-look knobs are amazing. Great color choice and thank you for using Rust-Oleum to complete you project  :)

• Thanks! Kind of obsessed with this spray paint. I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Kind of geeked when I saw Rust-Oleum visited my blog!

6. I LOVE this!!  I have wanted to change ours out forever, but now I’m just gonna spray paint them!  Woo hoo! Thanks for sharing, Megan!

7. Kelsey Winter says:

I love how the knobs turned out!  I’ve been wanting to do something similar in my home, but I was worried the paint wouldn’t adhere well to the metal knobs.  How are yours holding up?  Do you think it will work for the long-term or will it require a lot of frequent touch ups?

• The after pictures were taken nine months after the fact and they show no wear yet. They are our closet doors and not bathroom doors so they don’t get as much wear. We did prime before hand. I would guess they would hold up pretty long term. Seems pretty durable. Hope this helps.

8. Dee Pillow says:

Love the idea for the knobs.  I think I will do the front and back doors.  No need to rekey them, and anything will improve their looks.

9. Holly Lefevre says:

They look awesome. Thanks for sharing this info…stopping by from Fox Hollow discussion on door knob painting (holly, 504Main)

10. What product did you prime them with…

11. does the paint come off easily once you have painted, like how often have you had to redo them

• We didn’t sand, prime or anything that would help it adhere a long time. With proper prep I bet there would be minimal touch up. I noticed just the other day a little wear on the back of the knob. Hope that helps :)